Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Surprises


I stare with disbelief,
At the endless surprises,
Sprinkled with naughty grin,
A touch of joy!

Over the abundant life,
I muse,
The clattering of gifts,
The astonishments so far!

My friends,
They gift me letter pads,
Every year, each birthday!
Simple gesture,
Huge significance.
For my words spoken,
Epistles of friendship!

But surprises?
My friends,
They choke on that!
Too accurate, I predict!
Yawn at surprises,
So anticipated!

Yet, I am surprised,
At every wake of life,
I am surprised!

Surprised at life?
No! Life for me,
An open book!
I read, I learn!

But, people,
They surprise me!
I laugh over shocks,
Smile at surprises!

Laugh at the coldness,
From the warmest, emanating!
Smile at the warmth,
Cocooning the coldest!
Smile at the touch,
Courageous,
From the shy,
Hardly uttering a word!

Laugh at the hypocrisy,
From the preachers!
Smile at the care,
That the frosty offer!
Strength of the quiet,
Cowardice of the mighty!
I smile at endurance,
The living of terrors,
Of those termed fragile!
Yes, people surprise me!

And I hold them tight,
Shelled firm-
In the protection they offer,
Each surprise,
Each shock,
Another chapter!

3 comments:

വിജി പിണറായി said...

"Surprises"...! That's what I also feel reading these lines. Quite different style compared to your previous posts. Very simple lines, but enough to surprise a 'stranger' like me.

Surya said...

Sruthi,

I want to exchange notes with you because I find the issues you discuss to be of interest to me as well. Pls msg / mail me, my yahoo id is shrinie@yahoo.com

Srinivas

Unknown said...

"Surprises" didn't surprise me. I sensed this aspect of the "khandakavyam". :)