Tuesday, May 27, 2008

ABANDON

Written in a state of outrage, couple of years ago, when the ‘alma mater’ was ‘my college’.

At entrance to the Biology section,
Back at my alma mater,
Covering the landing,
All dusty and dirty,
There lies a huge article,
Object to abject abandon.

I wondered at it.
Seemed a tree trunk,
Hauled for some purpose,
Discarded futile.
Our people, so warm and attentive,
Felt the need for it in future…
I had smirked.

Sometime back,
A glance I chanced.
Too white for a tree trunk.
Looking closer, a label revealed.
Bewildered I read,
Below the scientific name-‘WHALE’S JAW’!!!

In confusion my heart pounds.
Was it negligence,
Intention or decision?
On the graying tiles,
To leave such an adornment,
Let it gather dust and pity?

For a decent case or cover,
(Forget maintenance!)
Funds if we have not,
To the museum of natural history,
Donate the poor soul and…
Regretfully remind the self,
Not withstanding our ego,
That we, homosapiens,
So miniscule to nature,
As the object of discussion to us!

No comments: