Monday, April 14, 2008

The Best

They watch me cry,

And I cry on,

Why? They ask me!

All the answers,

Choke on a sob!

I tell them, I have failed.

Utterly, miserably,

Failed!

Failed at my resolution,

To be the best.

The glorious best,

The best as a parent!

And so, I say,

I cry!

Bewildered, bemused,

Confused and baffled,

They stand!

Tell me I haven’t failed!

The triumphs, the successes,

The victories and the conquests,

Of my children,

Aloud they count!

Careers, wealth and all that matter,

They cite!

Yes…all that matter!

All that matters is life.

And I taught them no life.

Ruefully I smile,

Efforts best of mine put,

For them, in them!

Food, shelter, cloth,

Toys, entertainment,

Education…the best, always the best!

For the best, I bid.

The highest grades,

Topmost ranks,

Trophies unparalleled!

But, I forgot…

To teach them, show them,

Love, humanity!

In my mind’s great rat race,

I forgot nurture,

Forgot friendship,

Sharing and caring!

To love other children,

Children of other parents!

To appreciate their triumphs,

Over my little nuggets,

I was unwilling!

Instead I simmered,

Simmered with jealousy,

Hitting the race a notch higher.

Into my children too,

The simmer, I poured!

Forgot my duties,

To society, to mankind!

To the institutions that moulded me!

Denied justice,

To all else other than me!

And so, my children,

I cry!

I see you,

Groom your children,

To what I was made up,

To what I tutored you;

Apostles of propriety,

Models of political correctness,

Keepers of social stature,

Guardians of hypocrisy!

But, nothing more…

Nothing more!

And with that, my children,

In other hearts,

You cease to exist!

They smile!

Pat my shoulder, walk away,

Whispering to themselves,

‘Senile! That is all!

Our parent, our duty!’

And with that,

In your hearts,

I cease to exist,

Labeled a ‘duty’!

Nothing more, nothing more!

And so, I cry!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You'll be the best mother.